Authentic Intervention

R O S A

As a side point to my last post, I'd like to mention a discussion I had today concerning displaying objects in Historic (Country) Houses. We talked of the tension between making something new look old, and something old look new. I think this presents many issues (mainly concerning the authenticity of an artwork and the historic narrative of the building), but is interesting in realising the control we can have over the age of an aesthetic. 

To what degree do you clean a medieval painting without making it look younger than its actual age? And in doing this, are we going against the authenticity of the work? To what degree do you age the appearance of something new without disrupting the true history of the building/artworks it is displayed alongside? A fellow course member bought up a Conservator she knows in Venice, who talked of conserving frames in different ways (shining or rusticating) depending on where the art was due to be displayed. I found this interesting, and relevant to the discussion carried out in our last posts. And by the way,  I'm really enjoying our discussion of conservation as it's an area I have never fully considered in my study/understanding of art - its great!

No comments:

Post a Comment